So how did you do with our quiz over the Christmas period?
Hopefully you got a good score – though hopefully you found it at least a little challenging.
There will be another Quick Quiz soon.
Here are the answers:
- Who is the principal character in Dostoevsky’s novel Crime and Punishment?
ANSWER: 1. A) Raskolnikov. Turgenev was the writer of such classic Russian novels as Fathers and Sons. Mikhail Mishustin is the current Prime Minister of Russia.
- What is the state capital of California?
A) Los Angeles
B) San Francisco
ANSWER: 2. C) Sacramento
- According to the Genesis song and album, where did the Lamb lie down?
A) Madison Square Gardens
B) Time Square
ANSWER: 3. C) Broadway. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was a concept double album released in 1974 and the last to feature singer Peter Gabriel.
- Who painted The Scream?
A) Edvard Munch
B) Salvador Dali
ANSWER: 4. A) Edvard Munch
- In which organ of the body would you find the aqueous humour?
ANSWER: 5. B) Eye
- Which David Lynch film starred Dennis Hopper?
B) The Straight Story
C) Blue Velvet
ANSWER: 6. C) Blue Velvet. Dennis Hopper starred alongside Kyle MacLachlan and Isabella Rossellini. Dune starred Kyle MacLachlan and The Straight Story, about an old man who travels across America on a lawn mower, starred Richard Farnsworth.
- Which of these was not a member of the Monty Python team?
A) Terry Gilliam
C) Terry Jones
ANSWER: 7. B) Terry-Thomas. Real name Thomas Terry Hoar-Stevens, he was a popular comedy actor who appeared in scores of films from the 1930s to the 1980s, often as a devious character.
- Which of these DJs once presented the BBC Radio 1 breakfast show?
A) Mark Radcliffe
B) John Peel
C) Annie Nightingale
ANSWER: 8. A) Mark Radcliffe. He presented the show in 1997 following the departure of Chris Evans alongside Marc Riley, under the names Mark and Lard.
- Which of these is a presenter of BBC2’s Newsnight programme?
A) Emily Maitlis
B) Fiona Bruce
C) Mishal Husain
ANSWER: 9. A) Emily Maitlis. Fiona Bruce presents Question Time and Antiques Roadshow. Mishal Husain is a presenter on Radio 4’s Today programme.
- Which James Bond actor starred in the epic BBC 1990s drama series Our Friends in the North?
A) Timothy Dalton
B) Daniel Craig
C) Pierce Brosnan
ANSWER: 10. B) Daniel Craig. He played George ‘Geordie’ Peacock alongside Christopher Eccleston, Mark Strong and Gina McKee.