Rotherham Youth Enterprise announces shortlist of the brightest young business owners in the area
The finalists in this year’s Rotherham Youth Enterprise Awards were announced today; with creative startups including dance studios, fishing bait suppliers and cake shops all being considered ahead of the award ceremony taking place later this month.
Part of the Rotherham Youth Enterprise (RYE) Project, which provides help and support to young business owners, the awards take place annually in partnership with UK Steel Enterprise – a subsidiary of Tata Steel which recently launched the Equity Growth Fund providing up to £1m in finance for growing companies.
Judges including AESSEAL, Parkgate Shopping , RCAT and The Source Retail Skills Academy are now pouring over the entries, with the winners due to be recognised at a ceremony on November 17th which makes up part of a wider careers and opportunities event targeted at young people across the region and taking placed at Magna.
The four categories entrants are competing to be named are Best New Business Start, Most Established Business, Most Determined to Succeed and Most Innovative Business.
Darren McDool, Business Coach from Rotherham Youth Enterprise, said: “The calibre of the candidates that entered this year has been exceptional. We have thoroughly enjoyed reading the submissions and are privileged to have been invited to learn more about these businesses and these truly entrepreneurial young individuals in our region.”
“Previous winners have gone on to do great things, capitalising on the exposure that this accolade provides, so we are pleased to see another group of really strong candidates on this year’s shortlist.”
Rotherham Youth Enterprise, which is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund, aims to equip the young people of Rotherham with the enterprise skills that they need to make a success of their future and to contribute to the economy in the borough.
Allan Wood of UK Steel Enterprise said: “The work of the Rotherham Youth Enterprise, and their dedication to supporting young entrepreneurs and economic growth, is well aligned to the UK Steel Enterprise ethos and, to that end, we are delighted to be once again sponsoring these awards.
“The entries have been excellent, and we’re looking forward to further recognising the success of the winners at the awards ceremony on the 17th.”
Last years’ winner of the main award, Gavin Edley of Vitalife Teas said “Since winning the award we have almost trebled our turnover and I’m sure the credibility and awareness that winning a Rotherham Young Entrepreneur of the Year award brings will have contributed to us achieving this rapid growth.”
The shortlisted entrants are as follows;
- JL Dance Academy, a dance and performing arts school teaching over 150 students
- Infinity Digital, a marketing agency with a flair for all things digital
- Koochie Koo Customisation, specialising in the personalisation of many items, including corporate uniforms
- Patchwork Pig, a high-street shop in Rotherham, with a unique and affordable gift selection
- House of S, a stylish hair salon in Wickersley with a focus on innovation.
- 4 Ever Able Ltd – a specialist bathroom design and installation firm based on Rotherham’s Eastwood trading
- The Screening Project, producer of innovative and interactive film events across the UK
- Adspec Ltd, a company aiming to provide the latest technology at cheaper prices than major players such as Apple and Microsoft.
- GSK Hair Lounge, a hair & beauty salon in Swallownest with the aim of providing a high end finish without the expensive price tag.
- RG Baits, a supplier of speciality bait to UK fishing enthusiasts.
- Response Vehicle Lighting, supplier of emergency and commercial vehicle lighting equipment.
- Sally Shortcake, a vintage-style-tea-shop serving home-cooked food and freshly baked treats.